Climate change is one of the most significant and urgent issues facing business and society today. The science is clear, the impacts are serious, and the need to act is essential.
At HP, we see the need to act not only as our responsibility, but vital to the longevity of our business. HP is working to ensure that our business is resilient, innovating to mitigate the effects of climate change, and adapting to an evolving global business and regulatory environment. We recognize that our customers and investors expect us to do our part to address climate change and sustainability.
HP supports the Paris Climate Agreement as originally adopted by consensus in December 2015, participation in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, and other global efforts to address climate change. In June 2017, HP signed the “We are Still In” open letter to the international communities and parties to the Paris Agreement committing to remain actively engaged as part of the global effort to hold warming to below 2 degrees Celsius, and to accelerate the transition to a clean energy economy.
HP is reinventing the way that products are designed, manufactured, used, and recovered as we shift our business model and operations toward a circular, low-carbon economy. Working with our supply chain partners, we are reducing the environmental impact of our products at every stage of the value chain.
Our personal systems are designed to help reduce the environmental impact of computing for our customers. HP’s systems are increasingly more energy-efficient, easier to maintain and repair, and use fewer raw materials and more recycled content than prior generations of our systems. Through subscription-based services, we enable customers to upgrade to more energy-efficient hardware and software, while also extending the life of our systems through refurbishment programs.
Sustainability drives our efforts across our supply chain—ensuring we operate in an ethical, efficient, and resilient way. Throughout our supply chain, we implement industry-leading practices that help reduce our social and environmental impacts globally while benefiting our business and customers. We believe that our efforts to reduce energy use, lower greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and reduce water within our operations are critical to our long-term business sustainability and enables us to meet our customers’ expectations and needs.
Notable achievements include:
- Since 2010, on average HP has reduced the energy consumption of its personal systems portfolio by 34%v, its HP LaserJet portfolio by 56%, and its HP inkjet portfolio by 20%
- HP supports many third-party eco-label certification standards that recognize environmentally-preferable products, including Blue Angel, China State Environmental Protection Administration, EPEAT®, and Japan PC Green Label. HP’s personal systems portfolio includes more ENERGY STAR® certifications and EPEAT® and EPEAT Gold registrations than any other manufacturer
- HP received a 2017 EPA ENERGY STAR® Award for Excellence in Energy-Efficient Product Design for its commitment to improving the availability of energy-efficient products in the marketplace and has been named a 2018 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year winner in the Product Brand Owner category
- Through the Energy Efficiency Program (EEP), a collaboration between HP, BSR, WWF China, and World Resources Institute, supplier sites have saved more than 576 million kWh of electricity, prevented a cumulative 940,000 tonnes of CO2e emissions, and saved a cumulative amount of roughly $73 million between 2010 and 2016
- HP works with a number of organizations to reduce GHG emissions across its global supply chain, including Clean Cargo Working Group, Green Freight Asia, the International Air Transport Association, the United Nations Climate & Clean Air Coalition, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay
- HP joined RE100, a global initiative led by the Climate Group of top businesses committed to using 100% renewable electricity to lead the transformation of global energy markets
HP has set ambitious climate goals across our value chain to drive progress. As a member of the WWF Climate Savers program, we worked with WWF specialists to develop a science-based target for Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions and a supply chain GHG emissions intensity reduction goal for Scope 3 emissions. Our GHG goals have been approved by the Science Based Targets Initiative, fulfilling a commitment we made in April 2016.
For a comprehensive list of our Data and Goals on our Sustainable Impact website, please go to http://www.hp.com/go/sustainability_dataandgoals.
Please find HP’s Climate Change Policy at http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c05320887.