HP strives to uphold the relevant fundamental rights and freedoms of all people across our business, in line with the United Nations (UN) Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, and the UN Global Compact. We embed human rights policies and practices across our business, guided by the HP Sustainability and Human Rights Policy. We monitor emerging human rights expectations and best practices to continue to demonstrate leadership in this rapidly evolving area.
Human rights have long been at the heart of how we do business. We established our first Human Rights Policy in 2003 and have evolved it over time as our understanding and due diligence has deepened.
In 2021, we launched a standalone Human Rights Policy that better reflects the breadth and depth of our commitment to human rights and our measures to align with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
HP was founded as a purpose-driven brand: Dave Packard said, “The betterment of society is not a job to be left to a few. It is a responsibility to be shared by all.” We articulate our human rights responsibilities and aspirations in the context of HP values to enable a meaningful connection for our employees.
Enthusiasm, agility, and ownership
• We believe that our human rights responsibilities are integral to our success as a company,and dedicate the appropriate energy and resource to meeting those responsibilities.
• We understand that the conditions and contexts that give rise to human rights risks change constantly, and we need to respond quickly and appropriately.
• We realize our ability to influence others can be global and transformational, and we use this reach positively.
Trust and respect
• We seek out and meaningfully incorporate advice and feedback from human rights
experts as well as affected stakeholders.
• We develop relationships throughout our business based on mutual trust and respect.
• We foster a speak-up culture in which every voice has power and every voice has the right to be heard.
• We are not bound by current conceptions of what is or is not possible, but rather imagine a better future for everyone, everywhere, and then we make it happen.
• We carry our pursuit of meaningful innovation into the way we manage human rights.
• We remain vigilant in our awareness of the evolving global landscape and socioeconomic conditions to ensure these values are upheld.
• We are committed to conducting business across our operations with integrity, because how we do things is as important as what we do.
Results through teamwork
• Successful implementation of our human rights commitment requires a whole-of HP collaboration, in which communication, clarity, and accountability are fundamental.
Focus on customers, partners, and communities
• Our overarching goal is to create positive impacts for people, society, and business while also mitigating risk and preventing harm.